Monday, August 4, 2008

Reading time with Lilly

Well, since I took such a long break from blogging, I do have some stories and photos that I can share from the last month. Just because I stopped writing about things, doesn't mean it is any less interesting around this house! So over the next couple days, I'm going to try and take some time to share the goods on the last few weeks of activities from our little piece of the world. Here goes...

A big new library recently opened up about 5 minutes from our house...and it is wonderful! I can't wait for their story hours and toddler programs to begin in the fall because I think we are going to be there a lot and the girls are going to love it. In the meantime, we have been going there every week or two to get some new books for the girls. They love going into the kids section and sitting there reading before we decide which ones to check out and take with us. As much as they have enjoyed books before, they are loving them even more now. About a month ago we went on one of our visits and met my friend Mary there with her infant, Benjamin. (I think he was only 2 or 3 weeks old at the time.) Anyway...Lilly decided that she was going to read him a story. It was so cute, and I actually had my camera in my purse, so I was able to capture the moment. I am amazed at how much she already knows how to 'read'. She has been able to recite the alphabet for awhile now, but she can also identify all of the upper case letters and some of their sounds. I'm sure she isn't much different than other 2 1/2 year olds now, but I'm pretty certain I wasn't doing that at two! She can hear me read a story one time, and retell it using the pictures with almost perfect accuracy. Can I just say she is really cool?! I love how much she enjoys reading too, and I hope it stays that way!

No comments: